MT4 is a popular online trading platform for beginners and experienced traders alike. It is a user-friendly platform that can be accessed through desktop, web, and mobile devices. While it is possible to use MetaTrader 4 without a broker, you can only trade the live markets in real-time by signing up with a forex broker.
Let’s take a look at how to use MetaTrader 4 without a broker and when to sign up with a broker.
What is MetaTrader 4?
MetaTrader 4 or MT4 is an online trading platform which is widely used by forex traders to place orders. Released in 2005 by MetaQuotes Corporation, MT4’s is popular primarily because of its many beneficial features including the ability to trade currencies and CFDs on shares, bonds, indices, cryptocurrencies, and commodities.
MT4 has its own inbuilt programming language called MQL4, which is also called the MetaQuotes Language 4. It offers cross-platform support to traders as it can be accessed on different operating systems including Mac, Windows, and Linux. It is also possible to access MT4 on Android and iOS.
The uncluttered and neat user interface of MT4 makes it easy to navigate and use the platform.
How to use MetaTrader 4 without a broker?
It is possible to use MetaTrader 4 without a broker. But traders should note that they cannot trade the live markets with real money without signing up with a broker.
MT4 is a medium that lets traders place orders to trade the live markets. These orders are then automatically sent to the broker so that they can be executed. MT4 on its own cannot execute trading orders.
Traders can only sign up for a demo account on MT4, and not a live trading account, when they haven’t signed up with a broker.
A demo account allows traders to practice trading with virtual funds on MT4 so that they can get more comfortable with the platform and experiment with different trading strategies without risking any kind of real money.
On the other hand, with a live trading account, there is a lot more at stake as you are investing real money into the market. Moreover, the prices and conditions of a demo account may not be the same as the live trading account. Also, your profits made through a demo account are just virtual money only that you can use for further practicing. To trade with real money, traders would have to sign up for a live trading account with a broker that supports the MT4 platform.
How to install MT4 without a broker?
Traders can install MT4 by going directly to the official MetaTrader 4 website and downloading the MT4 software for their operating system. While Windows PC users can directly download the executable file and open it to kickstart the installation, MacOS and Linux users may find the whole process a bit windy.
Overall, here are the steps to follow when installing MT4 on any of the operating systems:
- Download the MT4 installation file
- Double click on the installation file or run the file from your browser
- To modify the location where you will be installing MT4 click on Settings and change your preferences
- After reviewing the End User License Agreement, click on Next and continue.
- When the installation is complete, click on Finish and open the MT4 trading platform
How to open a demo account on MetaTrader 4 without a broker
It’s important to note that traders cannot open a live trading account through the MetaTrader terminal. Instead they need to register with a broker through the broker’s website and then login to the MT4 platform.
In fact, even if traders want to create a demo account through a broker of their choice, they would still have to first sign up on the broker’s website and only login to their demo account once the broker has verified their details and activated their account.
But it is still possible to open a demo account directly on MetaTrader 4 without a broker. Here are the steps:
- When opening MT4 for the first time, the platform will automatically pop up the ‘Open an account’ window. This is where the traders will be on the broker server list.
- Click on the ‘Add new broker’ button and type ‘MetaQuotes-Demo’. The server name is case sensitive which is why it’s necessary to type the server name as is.
- Find the MetaQuotes-Demo server list on search results and select it. Click on Next
- Now in the ‘Select Account type’ window, select ‘New demo account’ and click on Next
- Provide the personal details along with leverage, deposit amount, and trading currency. When done, click on Next.
- MT4 will now provide a unique login ID and password. Traders should jot these details down somewhere protected as they will have to use these details to login to MT4.
- Click on finish and start trading.
How to connect a broker to MetaTrader 4?
Traders should note that once a demo account has been created directly on MetaTrader 4, it cannot be connected to a broker. In case traders want to create a live trading account, they would have to sign up separately with a broker and in doing so, they would lose access to all of the data, custom indicators, EAs, and trading strategies saved on their demo account.
Instead, traders can directly sign up for free demo accounts with a broker of their choice and when they are ready to transition to a live trading account, they can directly do so without losing access to any of their data.
Make the most of MetaTrader 4
MetaTrader 4 offers numerous features to traders for streamlining and automating their trades. It also offers advanced charting tools to help traders make informed decisions. By connecting MetaTrader 4 to a broker, traders can create live trading accounts and trade with real money.
- All material published on our website is intended for informational purposes only and should not be considered personal advice or recommendation. Traders should carefully consider their objectives, financial situation, needs, and level of experience before entering into any margined transactions.